Palm trees thrive in areas like Marco Island because of their resistance to wind. Even the most wind-resistant trees might have difficulty standing up against a strong storm like Hurricane Michael, but some species, like palm, are better at others at fighting off strong winds.
If you’re looking for a tree that is not a palm for your Marco Island property, consider Geiger trees (Cordia sebestena). The orange geiger (pictured above) is the most well-known of these trees. They feature showy, deep orange flowers.
Mango trees (Mangifera indica) are also an excellent choice for win-resistance. Both of these trees will stand up well against strong winds. Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) trees also survive strong winds quite nicely. Also consider Live Oak (Quercus virginiana) and Mimusops (Manilkara roxburghiana), because they grow well in Marco Island and can survive strong winds, especially if they aren’t over pruned.
Really, making sure that you don’t over prune trees is one of the easiest ways to help any tree that can grow on Marco Island stand up against strong winds. Don’t wait years in between pruning only to over prune them. Prune them using healthy pruning techniques every year. If you’re not sure about pruning for wind-resistance, you can also consult with a professional arborist.
No properties found
Are You Buying a Home on Marco Island?
Considering buying a home on Marco Island? We’d love to help you find one that’s just right for your needs.
First, check out available Marco Island area properties using this helpful search tool. If it’s easier, you can just call us at 239-821-7926 or get in touch with us online to let us know what you’re looking for. We’re happy to contact you however you prefer. Then, we’ll start searching our databases right away using criteria you specify!
In the meantime, you can also easily explore Marco Island real estate by price:
- Marco Island homes for sale from $100k to $200k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $200k to $300k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $300k to $400k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $400k to $500k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $500k to $600k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $600k to $700k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $700k to $800k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $800k to $900k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $900k to $1 million
- Marco Island homes for sale over $1 million