There’s no guarantee that even wind-resistant trees will survive a strong storm like Hurricane Michael that devastated the panhandle. However, in the Marco Island area, some species are better than others at surviving strong winds.
Most people know that palm trees usually fare pretty well. Unfortunately some people over-prune palm trees right before storms, but over-pruning leads to lower survival rates. The best thing is do complete annual maintenance on all your trees.
If you’d like to feature trees besides palm in your yard, but still want to use a species that is resistant to wind, there are other options too!
Geiger trees (Cordia sebestena) and Mango trees (Mangifera indica) both do well against strong winds. Live Oak (Quercus virginiana) and Mimusops (Manilkara roxburghiana) are also wind-resistant trees that do well in South Florida. You might also consider planting Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) trees.
Remember though, in order to help your trees do best against storms, prune them at a healthy rate each year as they grow. Don’t wait years in between pruning.
No properties found
Are You Buying a Home on Marco Island?
Considering buying a home on Marco Island? We’d love to help you find one that’s just right for your needs.
First, check out available Marco Island area properties using this helpful search tool. If it’s easier, you can just call us at 239-821-7926 or get in touch with us online to let us know what you’re looking for. We’re happy to contact you however you prefer. Then, we’ll start searching our databases right away using criteria you specify!
In the meantime, you can also easily explore Marco Island real estate by price:
- Marco Island homes for sale from $100k to $200k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $200k to $300k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $300k to $400k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $400k to $500k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $500k to $600k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $600k to $700k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $700k to $800k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $800k to $900k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $900k to $1 million
- Marco Island homes for sale over $1 million