When you’re financing a home, whether it’s a beachfront condo on Marco Island, a luxury estate on the edge of the island, or a Tigertail Beach home with a swimming pool, you’ll want a home inspection to make sure you know what you’re getting into.
But what is a home inspection, and what does the inspector look for?
What is a Home Inspection?
Most buyers hire a home inspector to root out problems and identify issues before finalizing a real estate purchase contract. It makes sense, because the worst possible time to find out about a big issue—such as a sinking foundation or extensive water damage to the roof—is after you’ve signed the dotted line and you’re on the hook for the property’s mortgage.
What Does a Home Inspector Look For?
Home inspectors have a list of about 2,000 items to check. Some of the most important include:
- Structural components, such as the home’s foundation and framing
- Exterior features, such as siding, porches, balconies, driveways and other items
- Electrical systems
- Plumbing systems
- Heating and cooling systems
- Interior features, such as walls, ceilings, floors, windows and doors
- Insulation and ventilation
You may need to hire a specialty inspector for some things, though; many home inspectors don’t work with swimming pools, alarm systems, wells, or termites or other pests. (You can talk to your Marco Island REALTOR®® about which inspections you may need if you’re not sure.)
How Much Does a Home Inspection Cost?
A general home inspection typically costs between $200 and $500. If you’re having trouble finding a reputable home inspector you can trust, ask your real estate agent for a recommendation.
Do You Need to Talk to a REALTOR®® About Buying a Home on Marco Island?
If you’re thinking about buying a home on Marco Island, we’d love to help you find one that’s just right for your needs.
Call us at 239.821.7926 or get in touch with us online to let us know what you’re looking for. We’ll start searching right away. In the meantime, please explore our:
- Marco Island homes for sale from $100k to $200k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $200k to $300k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $300k to $400k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $400k to $500k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $500k to $600k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $600k to $700k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $700k to $800k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $800k to $900k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $900k to $1 million
- Marco Island homes for sale over $1 million