Just about every home – even brand-new ones – has some type of issue that a home inspector uncovers when a new buyer comes in.
So how do you negotiate repairs with the seller to make sure you’re getting the most out of your upcoming investment?
How to Negotiate Repairs With a Seller After an Inspection
Make sure you’re choosing your battles wisely. You don’t want to demand that the seller fix everything – even the smallest details – because you could derail your deal. Be realistic and focus on major issues, not cosmetic issues.
Sellers are required to fix water penetration issues, like moldy walls, roof leaks, and wet basements. They’re also required to fix anything that violates local safety codes, like missing handrails on stairs or unstable decks.
Your lender might also require sellers to fix certain issues before they’ll give you the money to buy the house.
If you’re making repair requests that sellers aren’t legally required to fix, back them up with research so they know that if they pass up your deal, the next buyers will say the same thing. You can, and should, provide evidence on how extensive the issues are and about how much they’ll cost to fix.
You can ask sellers for a “repair credit” instead of asking them to fix the issues, too. That way, you can shop around and have the best contractors come in – and you’ll get money off the home’s price.
Are You Buying a Home on Marco Island?
If you’re thinking about buying a home on Marco Island, we’d love to help you find one that’s just right for your needs.
Call us at 239.821.7926 or get in touch with us online to let us know what you’re looking for. We’ll start searching right away. In the meantime, please explore our:
- Marco Island homes for sale from $100k to $200k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $200k to $300k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $300k to $400k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $400k to $500k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $500k to $600k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $600k to $700k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $700k to $800k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $800k to $900k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $900k to $1 million
- Marco Island homes for sale over $1 million