If you are buying a home near Marco Island, it doesn’t hurt to know the signs of foundation damage. Spotting major damage can save you from paying for an inspection, allowing you to move on to the next home with a few hundred extra dollars in your pocket. Actually, whether you are a homeowner or a home buyer, knowing how to spot foundation damage can save money. If you own a home and spot a sign of foundation damage, addressing the issue quickly can save lots of money in future damage.
Obviously, cracks along the foundation can indicate foundation damage. Hair line cracks around 1/16″ thick are common and don’t usually present an issue. They are from typical settling usually. Larger cracks should be looked at though. Also, if you find a stair-step patterned fissure, especially near the corners of the foundation, you’ll want to have that evaluated by a professional. A crack that presents in a 45-degree angle can spell trouble too. One single vertical crack can mean the foundation is actually moving upward! This might indicate a plumbing issue below a slab foundation or can mean that the soil is full of water and expanding upward.
Also, keep an eye out for doors and windows that don’t open properly. Plus, be observant of cabinets and counter tops pulling away from the wall. These could also mean foundation damage.
If we’re out showing you houses and we spot foundation damage, we can always keep looking! There are ample beautiful properties around the Marco Island area. Remember though, not all signs of damage actually indicate a failing foundation, and a complete home inspection can make sure you’re fully informed!
Are You Buying a Home on Marco Island?
Considering buying a home on Marco Island? We’d love to help you find one that’s just right for your needs.
Call us at 239-821-7926 or get in touch with us online to let us know what you’re looking for. We’ll start searching right away. In the meantime, please explore our:
- Marco Island homes for sale from $100k to $200k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $200k to $300k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $300k to $400k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $400k to $500k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $500k to $600k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $600k to $700k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $700k to $800k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $800k to $900k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $900k to $1 million
- Marco Island homes for sale over $1 million