The novelty of cucamelons is lost on just about no one. The fruit of this plant are adorable little cucumbers, but they look like teeny tiny watermelons. Plus, they taste like they’ve been given a splash of lime. You might assume these are some kind of weird GMO plant or hybrid, but they have actually been a staple of the Central American diet for centuries or more. Right now though, they are considered an upscale, designer vegetable!
Cucamelons (Melothria scabra) are also known as sandiitas or Mexican sour gherkins, sandiitas. Their names in many Native American languages can be roughly translated to “mouse melons.”
Besides for their amazing taste and adorable look, the best thing about them is that they are incredibly easy to grow in warm, sunny areas like Marco Island. These plants will thrive in a pot on your patio or on a trellis in your landscaping. Plus, when a homebuyer comes to check out your place, the cucamelons, as easy as they are to grow, will leave many homebuyers remembering your place, simply because of the novelty.
People enjoy cucamelons in fruit salads, salsas and salads. They also taste great when eaten right off the vine!
Are You Buying a Home on Marco Island?
Considering buying a home on Marco Island? We’d love to help you find one that’s just right for your needs.
First, check out available Marco Island area properties using this helpful search tool. If it’s easier, you can just call us at 239-821-7926 or get in touch with us online to let us know what you’re looking for. We’re happy to contact you however you prefer. Then, we’ll start searching our databases right away using criteria you specify!
In the meantime, you can also easily explore Marco Island real estate by price:
- Marco Island homes for sale from $100k to $200k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $200k to $300k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $300k to $400k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $400k to $500k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $500k to $600k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $600k to $700k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $700k to $800k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $800k to $900k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $900k to $1 million
- Marco Island homes for sale over $1 million