Your old furniture has good bones, but can sometimes make your space appear outdated. Mix the old with the modern to give those “seasoned” pieces more spice.
A Mid-century Not-so-modern Desk
Although mid-century furniture can be known for its modernity, some pieces could benefit from a time warp into the 21st century. So, rather than pairing your 1950s office desk with a wooden chair, choose one made from lucite (acrylic or plexiglas), which gives it an instant update. The two can work well together since the lucite is transparent. Anchor the two pieces with a brightly colored, patterned rug with coordinating desk accessories. A complementary-colored accent wall, peppered with cork tiles in shapes of your choosing, can complete the updated look.
Salvage Your Settee
Settees can sometimes look stuffy and dated, but adding a simple, chic coffee table can help loosen things up. If you have a light-colored settee, offset it with a wall painted in a deep, moody hue. An abstract print that complements the wall and settee can work well. Add graphic pillows for the finishing touch.
Update a Bulky Wooden Kitchen Table
Don’t get rid of your clunky oak kitchen table. Your circular table with those heavy, curved legs can be offset with slender furniture. Slim chairs in bursts of red or yellow vinyl can add modernity and a pop of much-needed color. A black-and-white patterned rug, striped or chevron, can ground the furniture. Hang coordinating prints to finish the update.
Are You Buying a Home on Marco Island?
Considering buying a home on Marco Island? We’d love to help you find one that’s just right for your needs.
Call us at 239-821-7926 or get in touch with us online to let us know what you’re looking for. We’ll start searching right away. In the meantime, please explore our:
- Marco Island homes for sale from $100k to $200k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $200k to $300k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $300k to $400k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $400k to $500k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $500k to $600k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $600k to $700k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $700k to $800k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $800k to $900k
- Marco Island homes for sale from $900k to $1 million
- Marco Island homes for sale over $1 million